If you live in a colder climate or have cold, foggy mornings, you may see water on the windowpanes and on your walls. You may think this is harmless water that appears inside your home naturally in the winter months. But did you know that this small pool of water can lead to costly damage to your home? If you want to know more about how water can be destructive, read on.
What is condensation?
Condensation is the process of gas converting into a liquid. For example, when the windows are closed, the warm air you breathe out gets converted into a liquid, which then becomes the water on the inside of your windows. Essentially, when warm humidity meets a cold surface, you get condensation.
Why should we be worried about condensation?
Once water forms on the windows, it does not evaporate or disappear magically – unfortunately. Therefore, this water runs down the windows, onto the walls or soaks into the flooring.
This is where the problems arise. Unless this water is effectively cleaned, mould and mildew will form.
Cloudy black and grey spots will appear on your dampened curtains and wood near the windows. It also grows on any material where it is moist and there is lack of oxygen. Mould can grow on wood, paper and carpet flooring. As the mould spore multiple they need a food source so they eat away at the materials of your home, it begins to break down and leave you with costly damage if it is not prevented.
Myth: Mould is just an aesthetic concern
We all know that we should dispose of mouldy food when we see it. But why do we turn a blind eye when it comes to the mould around our windows, curtains or bathrooms? Many people tend to do a deep cleaning once in a while to remove mould as opposed to constantly wiping these areas down. We rain check this as we do not think that it can impact us in any way but visually. Where in fact, mould can be extremely damaging to our health and others.
Some ways that mould can impact your health:
- Respiratory Problems: If you suffer from respiratory problems such as asthma, spores and dust mites, inhaling mould spores can aggravate and trigger your symptoms.
- Skin Rash: Coming into contact with mould can cause an allergic reaction such as a skin rash. Be sure to wear proper cleaning equipment when cleaning or handling mouldy surfaces.
- Serious Infection: Those who have impaired immune systems, you will be at risk for serious infections from mould in your home.
How ventilation can help to eliminate condensation
To prevent and eliminate the potential of condensation in your home, you must address the root cause which is humidity. Depending on the structure and location of your home, it may be more or less susceptible to high humidity. It may not be a quick fix like opening a window. Therefore, it is important to invest in a ventilation system to keep the air moving through the home and reducing humidity.
Riteflo has tackled condensation and dampness in homes for over 50 years. You can trust that they understand the climate of your home and can suggest the correct ventilation system for you. Every home is unique so if you need more information on how to get rid of condensation in your home, contact Riteflo today.